Issued: December 2016
Welsh public bodies using the NPS Framework to tender for flood risk are saving money and delivering value to taxpayers.
We are delivering too. WHS was delighted to be awarded a place in the Framework (Construction Consultancy [Infrastructure] Phase 2). It offers broad opportunities to provide the highest standards of service, with innovation and collaborative working.
We strive to combine this with the latest guidance and have been successful in a number of bids.
WHS is delivering in Wales
- We are modelling the entire catchment of the River Ebbw in South Wales for Natural Resource Wales. Our study will use innovative approaches to provide peak flow estimates and catchment hydrology assessment. Outputs will guide developments, flood warnings and assessments of catchment-wide flood defences.
- We are modelling and mapping coastal flood risk at Llanfairfechan, and Llandulas and Kinmel Bay for Conwy County Borough Council. Outputs will include a project appraisal report and assessments of beach management and coastal erosion measures, and will inform coastal flood risk management.
- We are assessing tidal flood risk at Tintern for the Monmouthshire County Council. Outputs will guide the installation of property protection measures for up to 150 residential and commercial properties.
And looking to the future
Our catchment-scale and strategic projects in Wales are complemented by key projects in the UK, including:
- the Oxford Level 1 Strategic Flood Risk Assessment
- a flood risk review of the Mansfield Central Area.
We will continue to innovate and collaborate, and incorporate the latest guidance on risk-management project appraisals in our work.
The last word
We look forward to enabling more risk management authorities to make informed decisions when accounting for climate change in flood and coastal risk management.