Water company resources and infrastructure are all challenged by climate change, environmental regulation and increasing consumer demands. Predicting and adapting to these pressures is key to business planning.
WHS provides a distinctive and focused hydrological and environmental service.
Our hydrological assessment tools lead the industry. The WHS engineers and scientists behind LowFlows and Flood Estimation Handbook (FEH) software have nationally recognised expertise in the application of hydrology.
We have developed our own GIS-based water quality software to assess regional pollution risk and source apportionment. We work with regulators and research bodies to assess consenting requirements and methodologies for compliance with the Water Framework Directive.
WHS work in this sector includes:
- Impact assessment of catchment-sensitive farming techniques, oestrogen levels and diffuse pollution source apportionment.
- Hydrometry and hydrological studies for Scottish Water, including hydrometric monitoring for three water-resource zones on the islands of Arran, Jura and South Uist.
- Pollution time-of-travel study for Thames Water, using LowFlows Enterprise software.
- Drought-trigger threshold study for Thames Water, for the management of reservoirs.
- Expert hydrological advice for NI Water’s Water Resource Plan, with case studies of options.
The last word from our clients
“I have worked with Wallingford HydroSolutions on a number of projects and they have provided an excellent service to Scottish Water …”
Graeme Learmonth, Procurement Officer, Scottish Water